Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

This summer my friend had us over for lunch and made Chicken Lettuce Wraps.  I just thought that was something you ordered at PF Chang's, end of story.  But no - it is possible for the home cook to make delicious Chicken Lettuce Wraps!


I'll warn you about a couple things.

1.  It involves a lot of dicing.

2. Eating them is very messy.  All ten of my fingers, all the way down to my palms, were sticky.

Making Chicken Lettuce Wraps is not a science, so sorry, you do not get an official recipe.  Here are the ingredients I used, though.


Cut the chicken (about a pound for two people - you'll probably have some leftovers) into small pieces and cook over medium heat in a big pot.  Pour in about 1/3 cup of Honey Teriyaki marinade while it's cooking, so the chicken doesn't dry out and really absorbs all the flavor it possibly can.  Note:  While I'd normally use chicken breasts, I bought boneless, skinless chicken thighs at the store.  Less expensive and they worked just as well!

While the chicken is cooking, peel your carrots and zucchini.  Slice the carrots into really thin coins and add to chicken so they get a head start on the softer veggies.  I used just one zucchini.  Dice it.  Dice the mushrooms.  Dice about half of the water chesnuts (for some crunch).  Pour it all into the chicken/carrot mixture and turn up the heat a bit.  Add more marinade.  Maybe some freshly ground pepper.  Chop a green onion and add it to the mix.  Cook until it's bubbling and all the veggies are tender.  Chop another green onion and use as topping.

Serve on lettuce (iceberg is better than romaine because it wraps more easily - this might make them less messy!) with rice.  Sriracha sauce optional!

No comments:

Post a Comment