Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tandoori Chicken Tenders

I whipped up Tandoori Chicken Tenders when I got home from the gym tonight.

Simple.  Delicious.  Fast.

That's Real Food, Real Eating, if you ask me!

First, you put together the marinade.  Whisk it together.


The secret ingredients, in my opinion, are the ground coriander and minced ginger.  Exotic smelling and exotic tasting ingredients that I don't use often in my cooking.  I think coriander tastes sort of perfumey.  I realize that's not a selling point.  But it really is good!

Did you know you can buy fresh ginger in a tube?  It's perfect because it lasts forever and keeps you from having to buy one of those weirdly shaped elbows of ginger each time you need one tablespoon of it.  Highly recommended.


Then you put your chicken tenders in the marinade and stir them up so they're well coated.  Let 'em sit in the fridge for 20 minutes.  I took a shower at this point.  I am telling you:  this recipe works for real life.


Preheat your broiler and coat a rimmed baking pan with cooking spray.  Spread the chicken tenders in a single layer.  Dollop on any extra marinade that you can scrape out of your bowl.


Broil until they're done.  At this point, I was so hungry and so excited to eat my creation that I apparently got a little shaky.


The original recipe suggests serving these on naan bread.  I didn't have any on hand, so instead I used this great, nutty wheat bread we have.  A little chopped romaine on top.


It was absolutely heavenly.  Seriously.  Try this recipe.  Serve it to friends.  Serve it to your sweetie.

I suppose I should warn you.  It has a little kick. Cayenne'll do that, you know.

Tandoori Chicken Sandwiches
(recipe originally found in Sunset magazine's June 2010 issue)
1 lb. chicken tenders
1/2 c. nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. each minced ginger and garlic, and ground coriander and cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1. Whisk together yogurt, seasonings and oil.  Add chicken and stir to coat.  Let marinate 20 minutes.
2. Preheat broiler.  Spread chicken on a rimmed, greased baking sheet and broil until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
3. Serve on hot naan bread, on regular bread, or on a salad.  Excellent with romaine, tomato, red onion, feta, mint and cilantro.  A flavor explosion!

No comments:

Post a Comment