Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Job Kills My Creativity

That's why you'll notice most of my blogs are posted on the weekends.
By the time my day ends (at five p.m.; I can't complain about the job itself or the company or my coworkers at all - they are great!), the following things have sapped any inspiration I awoke with:

1. the Outlook reminders that I snooze incessantly... maybe it's for two hours ("After I get in the swing of the workday, I'll tackle that") , maybe four ("I'll be ready for it after lunch"), maybe two days ("I need so-and-so's opinion and they're out until Thursday")... well, you get the idea.
2. the phone that doesn't stop ringing
3. the pressure to solve problems or be the go-between
4. the looming to-do list - cross one item off, two more are added, with a greater sense of urgency

Well, that's just going to have to end, I tell you.  When you spend five sevenths of your days (math = not my "best" subject) at work, you just have to figure out how to make those viable days, too.  Some people have it figured out already.

When I discover the art, I will let you know.  For now, I am just going to try to make it through with a modicum of graciousness and the enthusiasm to make the most of the hours from five thirty to eleven thirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment