Monday, January 3, 2011

Spicy Sweet Potato Pasta and Roasted Shrimp

What do you eat after...

1. you've been gone for a few days
2. even before you left you were scrounging for edibles
3. you went on a mad refrigerator-cleansing rush as soon as you arrived back home

What do you eat?

That was the question facing me today.

One trip to the grocery store during my lunch break.  I bought green onions.

Other than that, I made a rather delicious (if I do say so myself!) meal with what I had on hand.

Spicy Sweet Potato Pasta


Roasted Shrimp


I've made the sweet potato-pasta dish before.  Please note the creative mix of pastas I used.  The recipe calls for rigatoni, but I subbed in radiatore because - well, my pantry was a little empty, too.


A quick how-to on roasting shrimp.  Heat your oven to 400.  Take some thawed (or fresh!) shrimp and toss them on a baking sheet with olive oil.  Sprinkle on salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Add some garlic and onion seasoning if you like.  Roast for 8-10 minutes or until opaque.  Squeeze a lemon over them and enjoy!


A note about shrimp.  Get the kind without shells and the icky little legs.  For one thing, all the flavoring you use during roasting sits on the shell rather than on the meat.  For another, they are a booger to pick apart.

However, they were good.  And a nice bit of lean protein to go with the carb-heavy sweet potato-pasta dish!

Your Shopping List for this Meal:
1 large sweet potato
8 oz pasta
1/3 cup peanut butter
3 oz cream cheese
2 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
6 green onions
1 lb shrimp

Basics:
olive oil
salt
pepper
sugar
cinnamon
chili powder

Now that's easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment