Friday, March 4, 2011

Grilled Turkey and Cheese with Green Peppers

If you've read my "The Perfect Sandwich" post, you might think my sandwiches are pretty lame.  Basic and unimaginative.  And maybe they are.  But let me tell you - they are undeniably delicious!

On a cold should-be-spring day (My hopes for spring start early - like mid-February.  Yes, I'm going to seek counseling for my delusion.  I was born and raised in the Midwest.  I should know better than to hope like this.).  Anywho, pardon that interruption.  On a cold late winter day, a grilled sandwich cannot be beat. 

Gooey cheese, warm meat, melty mustard and mayo, crusty bread...


I won't bore you with the details.  You know how to make a grilled sandwich.  Here's the thing, though.  For the best gooey cheese factor, you must use two pieces of cheese.  Each piece of cheese should be right next to the bread.  And if you're going to include any veggies, as I did with the green peppers, you should heat them in the skillet for a few minutes so they aren't completely raw and crunchy.  And finally, to get that nice crusty finish to the bread (without the calories of a couple heavy swipes of butter), spray cooking spray in your pan and let it heat up, then add your sandwich.

Go home, fancy panini maker.  All you need is a nonstick pan.


Served with some vegetable beef soup straight from the can to the stove, we had a cozy, comforting lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment