Monday, April 11, 2011

Asparagus and Feta Frittata

I found this recipe in Taste of Home magazine a couple years ago, and it has endured in my kitchen ever since.  I even tracked it down online to make it tonight, after I lost my little magazine clipping.  So here it is, from my kitchen to yours...


You will serve this as a savory brunch when you have weekend guests.  You will serve this for a meat-free weeknight meal.  You will serve this when you have the girls over for a breakfast dinner.

Tonight we had it with cheddar garlic biscuits (Okay, I'll admit it...  They were from a package.  But they were amazing!) and a fruit salad.  The feta in the frittata is my favorite part.  That salty creaminess.  But then the asparagus is so good too.  Oh, just try it already!!
 

Directions

  • In a large skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Finely chop two spears; set remaining asparagus aside.
  • In an 8-in. ovenproof pan or skillet, saute the onions, garlic and chopped asparagus in oil until tender. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper; pour into skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until eggs are nearly set.
  • Arrange reserved asparagus spears so they resemble spokes of a wheel over eggs; sprinkle with feta cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until eggs are completely set.
  • Yield: 2 servings.
Note from Dangerously Domestic:  I don't know how the recipe creator fits ten asparagus spears in an 8" skillet.  You can see I had no luck with my wheel-spoke arrangement.  I actually chopped three spears of asparagus and trimmed all the remaining spears down so they'd fit in a row.
 
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 frittata equals 427 calories, 32 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 670 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein.



Asparagus and Feta Frittata

  • 12 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
  • Dash salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment