Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Our New Favorite Pork Tenderloin

Here's the deal.  Last year we split a half side of pork with my brother and sister in law.  We've eaten all the bacon and most of the pork sausage.  Did you know you can't get a quarter of a hog, all in bacon?  I felt a bit cheated.  Like maybe my brother knew something I didn't and was taking all the bacon.

So all the bacon is gone, most of the pork sausage is gone, and now I'm left with a bunch of roasts.  Not a bad problem to have, except I only like pork roasts when they are smoked or shredded and covered in barbecue sauce.  And you just can't do that every week.

This recipe doesn't solve my roast problem, but it did remind me that I really do like pork.  When it's marinated in a slightly spicy marinade and then served with a fresh, bright, tangy pesto-ish substance.  Oh yes.  Pork the new way.


The marinade was really good, but it was the sauce that really sold us.  I even ate leftovers.


And it's a recipe from Cooking Light.  Good for you!  Eat on...

Argentinean Pork
Serves 4 (3 ounces pork and 2 Tbsp sauce)
6 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 c. fresh parsley leaves, divided
2/3 c. fresh cilantro leaves, divided
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves (I used 1 tsp. dried)
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (wow, I totally forgot this!)
1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1. Combine 2 Tbsp. oil, 1/4 cup parsley, 1/3 cup cilantro, cumin and red pepper in a shallow dish.  Add pork.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour (or a few), turning once.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high.  (I used a grill pan because it was about 27 degrees out).
3. Sprinkle pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.  Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray (or grill pan coated with cooking spray!), and grill for 8 minutes.  Turn pork over and grill for 7 minutes or until a thermometer registers 145.  Remove pork and let stand for 5 minutes.  Cut crosswise.
4. Combine 3/4 cup parsley, 1/3 cup cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, oregano and remaining ingredients in a food processor; pulse 10 times.  Drizzle 1/4 cup olive oil through food chute with food processor on.  Serve with pork.
Calories 319; Fat 23 g; Protein 24.5 g; Carbs 29 g; Fiber .7 g

No comments:

Post a Comment