Sunday, November 6, 2011

Bad Breath... "That" Person

You're probably thinking I'm going to write about running into someone with really bad breath this morning at church.  Nope.  Not it.  I might be that person; in fact I might have already been that person in the last couple months.  So I'm going to give anyone with bad breath a free pass for the next six months or so.

Here's my confession.  When new moms used to say they sometimes "forgot" or "just didn't have time to" brush their teeth, I made judgments.  The judgments were just internal.  I'd say the right words, sympathize, laugh wryly with them.  But inside, I would judge.

Now I understand.  I don't think I've ever actually left the house without brushing my teeth, but I can't be sure.  Keep in mind that this is coming from a girl who used to brush her teeth immediately upon waking and then again before actually leaving the house, breakfast or no breakfast.  But when you're stumbling out of bed at 6 am to change and feed a squalling baby (after changing and feeding and cuddling him at two, and then maybe dealing with pacifier re-plug-in's until two thirty), oral hygiene is the last thing on your mind. 

My wake-up call to this came a couple weeks ago when I kissed my hubby hello when he came home for lunch and he hesitantly asked, "When was the last time you brushed your teeth?"  Not even "Did you brush your teeth this morning?"  The implication I got was more along the lines of "Have you brushed your teeth in the last forty eight hours?"

So let this serve as my apology to those new moms who I judged...  And if I am "that person" to you, please give just take a subtle step back and ask if my morning started exceptionally early.

No comments:

Post a Comment