Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Squirrel Feeder: Possible Problems

I've thought about it a bit more.  About the squirrel running across our yard, that I want to feed.

There could be a few issues with doing this.

One, would the squirrel feeder attract varmints such as possums and raccoons?  I don't want possums and raccoons running amuck in or around our yard.  They might get into the cat shed, where I might encounter them in the dark of the night when I put Murray to bed there.  Yikes.  There's not enough free space in that shed to comfortably flail around avoiding a wild animal.

Two, would Murray catch squirrels that innocently came to eat at the feeder?  I like the squirrels!  I don't want to see them massacred and brought to our back door.  I'm not sure if Murray's hunting abilities extend to squirrels, but this summer he caught his fair share of birds, mice and bunnies.  We freed those that we could, but not without extreme agitation, shrieking and shaking hands.  I'm not sure if I'm up for all that in freezing temperatures.

Three, I would have to sweet talk my dear husband into refilling the squirrel feeder periodically, because I despise cold weather and stay inside when possible.  He would not enjoy this chore.

Four, squirrels in the backyard would be one more thing for Haley to bark at.  That Dog.  Is On My Last Nerve.

It's a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment