Friday, January 14, 2011

Roasted Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes

New-recipe success story tonight!  I found this recipe in Real Simple's January 2011 issue and decided to give it a shot.

Of the three recipes I've tried from the magazine, this is the final one and the only resounding success.  So I was feeling nervous!  Was I going to regret my choice to ignore the Friday siren's call of Papa John's pepperoni pizza with black olives?


As I was making this recipe tonight, I was really hoping we'd like it.  It's inexpensive, calls for just a few ingredients, and the prep is fast, although you should allow for the fact that it has to cook for at least 35 minutes.

Here's what the final product looks like.


It would be gorgeous with a green salad if you wanted to serve it for guests - or if you eat with your eyes as well as your mouth and nose.  We did not have any lettuce, so we made do with bread.


I'll give you my recipe; for the true original, just go to Real Simple's website.

Roasted Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 pint grape tomatoes
2 cans white northern beans
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper + to taste
1/2 tsp. salt + to taste
1 Tbsp. olive oil, approx
1 c. chicken broth

Rinse and drain your beans; rinse your tomatoes.  Combine them in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish.  Add the olive oil, oregano, thyme, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 tsp. salt.  Toss to combine.  Pour in chicken broth.
Spread the chicken thighs out on top of the bean/tomato mixture.  Rub each thigh with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Cook for 35-45 minutes at 425.
Suggestion: serve on top of french bread so it can soak up the juicy goodness.
Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment