Monday, January 17, 2011

Roasted Tilapia, Roasted Carrots

Tonight's dinner had all the elements of a delicious meal... tilapia, carrots, roasting.  Yet it fell short of the mark.  I know why it fell short, and fortunately, it is preventable.

Overseasoning.  I am finally to the point in my culinary career that I recognize overseasoning for the sin that it is.  In my enthusiasm for the meal, I just got carried away.  Plus my sweaty workout clothes were getting to me, and I wanted to move on to step two: the shower.

A Roasted Dinner... Roasted Tilapia, Roasted Carrots... and Stovetop Stuffing (last-minute decision to add a little bulk to the meal)


Sigh.  The other issue I have with this meal is that it's all in the same color family.  Where is the green!?

But moving on to a more positive note, the carrots were delicious.  Do you know how to roast carrots?  It's so easy, and they just become something you've never tasted before when you roast them.

Roasted Carrots
Peel your carrots, slice them (on a diagonal looks pretty) into about 2 1/2" pieces.  Try to make sure they're all about the same size, so they cook evenly.  This means you might have to chop some of your pieces in half lengthwise.

Put them in a baking dish.  Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat (or if you have a dish with high sides, shake back and forth vigorously!).  Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt.


 Roast at 425 for 35-45 minutes or until fork-tender.  Season with dried dill, if you like.


You can never have too many roasted carrots.  I did about a pound and three quarters, and between the two of us, we polished them all off.  Sure, we have hearty appetites.  But they're also somewhat discerning!  We did not finish the Stovetop...

No comments:

Post a Comment