Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rural Sightings

I just love the rural Kansas countryside.  You might have to be a native to truly appreciate some of it, I admit.  We don't have the majesty of the mountains or the vast beauty of the ocean.  But we do have beautiful slopes and horizons, and sunsets (I don't see the sun rise) to rival any out there.


Wind Turbines.  They aren't especially pretty unless you're into modern art.  In fact, they kind of ruin the picturesque charm.  But since these are off the interstate anyway, there's not much extra harm done!


We have a ton of abandoned old houses and barns.  Most of the time I'm in such a hurry that I think "Oh I should stop and take pictures of that place," then just drive on.  Maybe I hit the brake a bit.  This time, I stopped.


As I got closer, it was actually kind of creepy.  It was quiet except for the wind gusting around me, and there were cows watching me.


But isn't it fascinating?  Like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

I love limestone.  I think the old house was made out of it, too.


And what's Kansas without a good ol' barnyard animal, right?


In my opinion, this is just the right amount of snow.  A few inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment