Monday, February 7, 2011

For the Birds

I've got this suet feeder hanging from the corner of our shed, but the neighborhood birds just haven't found it yet.  I consulted my mom, who is my all-things-outdoor expert.  She suggested putting out some other kind of bird food to draw them in, since sometimes suet doesn't quickly or easily attract birds.

While back at my parents' house, we gathered a few old corn husks from an obliging neighbor's field.  I love the way they look, but these are not just for rustic country decor.  They are for sustenance.


I shelled a few ears into my little bowl . . .


and cleaned up my auction-find bird feeder . . .


And now I've put it outside under the suet feeder so the birds have a one-stop dining area.  Sure, both are right by Murray's shed, but that's no reason a fast, brave bird can't dine and ditch.


**In the time elapsed since I put the corn out, a varmint has come into our yard.  We think it's building some sort of nest under the shed, probably to be close to its food source.  Long story short, we're going to have to remove the corn and fill the little turtle's mushroom cap with something less interesting, like water.  The neighbors will not take kindly to Haley baying when she hears something skittering away from her during her 4:30 a.m. potty breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment