Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Frigid Cold + Laundry's Done = Cozy Bed + A Movie

It's cold and snowy and windy outside.  Really cold.  Frigidly cold.  Really windy.  Flag-at-90-degrees wind.

Oh, I just got goosebumps!  I just checked the weather online to confirm how cold it is.  It's 8 degrees, but feels like -12.  Oh my.  My idea to cuddle up in bed under the covers watching a movie has just turned into an actual plan.

As soon as I toss my laundry into the dryer.  Laundry is my least favorite chore, hands down.  I don't mind washing dishes or unloading the dishwasher or vacuuming or even cleaning the toilet.  But laundry.  It's a chore that drags on far too long.

You load the clothes.  They wash while you wait.  You put them in the dryer.  Some, you remove to air dry so they don't shrink to skintight, cropped status.  You hang them or drape them across the dryer or across a chair.  The rest, you finish drying.  Except maybe a pair of jeans that you want to dry for thirty minutes - not the first-draft that come out in fifteen minutes or the clothes that are ruthlessly dried to Sahara-like properties.  You drape those over your one remaining chair back.  Then you let the rest of your clothes dry.

And two hours later, you have completed your laundry.  "Jaws" music plays...  One load, that is...

Yes, I despise doing laundry.  It doesn't help that I put it off for days and days, so when I finally get to it, I have to do three loads to be done.

Anyhow, just to round out my update on tonight.

I convinced my dear, brave hubby to run me to the grocery store, so I wouldn't endanger those around me by driving a big pickup around ice- and snow- packed streets.  And so I wouldn't have to carry sacks of groceries out to said pickup all alone in the (now we know) dangerously cold weather.  Then we stopped by our little town bookstore to get a couple frozen hot chocolates.  They're two-for-one every weeknight from six to eight.  What a deal, huh?  It's one worth braving the cold for, definitely.

But I consumed my entire frozen hot chocolate - with whipped cream and chocolate syrup tonight - and now I feel a bit ill.

It's definitely time to retire to bed with a movie and a mug of hot peppermint tea.  Balm to my work-weary self and my overindulged tummy.


Disclaimer:  I suppose I should admit that I know how lucky I am that I don't have to wash clothes by hand and dry them outside on a clothesline.  It's just not as much fun to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment