Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Double Header, Round Two: Cowboy Casserole

I went from The Barefoot Contessa to a simple, down-home recipe from Mom.  Simple but so good.  You'll just be amazed at the results you can get from a few easy ingredients!

And, if you have kids - especially boys - you might have better luck getting them to eat something called Cowboy Casserole than you would, say, Turkey Meatloaf.

That's why I'm giving it to a friend who just had a baby.  That, and because the other dish sitting in the freezer ended up a little spicier than intended.  Oops.  That Rotel can get away from you.

Anyhow, on to Cowboy Casserole.  Here's what you need.  This'll take you less than 20 minutes!  I'm so excited to share it with you!


Brown the hamburger.  I seasoned it with some pepper, but no salt.  There's enough salt in the beans and BBQ sauce, I'm sure.


I like to chop the hamburger as fine as I can.  Then, add the can of pork and beans (drain the juiciest of the juice out), 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce, 1 Tbsp. dried minced onion and 2 Tbsp. brown sugar.


Mix it all together until you have this delicious, sweet and savory mixture.


By the way, I think it's no wonder I misread recipes so much.  Look at what's underfoot constantly, just waiting for me to drop some delightful morsel.


With a face like that, you'd think I dropped them on purpose.

Carrying on with the recipe...  Pour the hamburger mixture into an ungreased, 2 quart dish.


Top with 1 cup of shredded cheddar.


What's not to love, right?  It's like an Ultimate Cheese BBQBurger.


Bake it at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  I'd suggest serving it with cornbread and green beans - partly because those are two of my favorite easy side dishes, and partly because I think I remember Mom serving it that way, too.

Bon Appetit, fine diner!

No comments:

Post a Comment