Sunday, December 12, 2010

Live Healthy During the Holidays?!

Yes, I'm resolved to do it.  Starting tomorrow.  No, seriously.  You can't just say "I'm going to live healthy now," go about your normal routine, and expect it to just happen.  You really can't.  You have to plan ahead.

That's what I'm doing now.  I'm gathering my resources, strengthening my determination, writing down my plan, and making sure J is prepared for this change.  It's not like exercising and eating intelligently is new to us.  We've done it before.  We just have to get started doing it again!

"Why?  Why now?" you may ask.

I signed up for this Maintain, Don't Gain program at my gym, and if I don't get serious now, well, I won't get my $25 back in gym credit and if I don't get that, then I just won't feel okay about buying that cute pink hoodie I've been eyeing.

My Resources
Cooking Light magazine
Women's Health magazine
The Most Decadent Diet Ever, cookbook by Devin Alexander
Self's online food/calorie log.  It also tracks exercise and has calculators to give you all sorts of numbers!  And it's free!  You don't have to be a subscriber to the magazine to join, as you had to in the past.

Just a matter of personal opinion, but I don't think use the weight calculator or the BMI (Body Mass Index).  I'd rather gauge my body fat percentage (gulp, how my favorite, cutest clothes fit (sigh), how happily I can run 3 miles (not happily at the present time), and how strong I feel while lifting weights.

So the one number I'm really concerned about it my how many calories I need.  As a moderately active woman of a certain age, Self's Caloric Intake Calculator tell me I need to consume about 1,800 calories a day to maintain my current weight.  So to lose a little bit of weight, I plan on aiming for about 1,500 calories most days and also ramping up my current activity level.  I've got to keep in mind that as I do lose weight, I need fewer calories and have to adjust accordingly!

Here's my general-outline plan.  It's worked before, and I'm confident it will work again!

1. Log everything I eat.  Everything.  You'd be amazed at how this limits the handfuls of crackers, the chocolate truffle here and there, simply because it gets to be a pain logging all that junk that's so easy to consume.

2. Exercise four times a week.  I faithfully attend a yoga class every week already, so I'm adding three days and want to make sure they include both strength training (to tone and firm) and cardiovascular activity (for endurance and to burn calories).

3. Make healthy, balanced meals.  Lean protein, a pile of well-prepared veggies, whole grains, good fats.  It is possible and can be so delicious.  You'll see!  I plan on sharing my recipes as often as I can!

4. Have fast, healthy snacks on hand.  I'm a lucky person who loves raw veggies, so I'll keep those readily accessible; I'm also thinking popcorn, cottage cheese, Wasa crackers, edamame will be popular items for us.

5. Enjoy my favorite holiday treats.  In moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment