Friday, December 17, 2010

What I Ate: Yesterday vs. Today

Well, I was traveling for a couple days this week, and therefore outside my usual routine.  I did well with healthful eating on Wednesday, but on Thursday, things got a little messy...

It all started with the box lunches brought in for a work-through-lunch meeting.  It was delicious.  I only ate half of my Mediterranean Grilled Chicken sandwich.  But then I ate the whole bag of chips and the whole brownie.

Both were delicious.  No regrets.

Actually, maybe it started with the chocolate chip bagel I had for breakfast.  Honey butter on the side, thank you very much.  I felt so virtuous.

Then on my three-hour drive home, I snacked to stay awake.  And then I ate the other half of my sandwich from lunch.  And then we went to a party where I had a plate filled with goodies like chex mix, chocolate-dipped pretzels (a holiday favorite!!), and crackers with a creamy, delicious dip.

Fortunately today is a new day, and this bad boy is coming out.


My trusty food scale, purchased for about ten bucks at Walmart.  I'd highly recommend getting one.  It's the only way you can measure calories in some foods - baby carrots, for instance, and frozen chicken breasts.

Three ounces of baby carrots is 1 serving.  How in the world do you measure ounces without a food scale?  Hold a bag of paper clips in one hand and try to compare it??


This is what one serving of baby carrots looks like.

3 ounces baby carrots
35 calories
0 g fat
8 g carbs
2 g fiber
1 g protein


And here's what that one serving looks like on a plate.  It's quite a few carrots.  By the time I finished eating them, I was glad to be done.  That's a lot of chewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment