Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Turkey Meatloaf: The Verdict

It.  Was.  Delicious.

Just what I needed after a good yoga class.

And it smelled so scrumptious as I walked in.

So give it a shot.  It's an easy recipe.  Here's a picture of our leftovers.  Yes, half of it's gone.  No, I didn't eat my fair share.  I told you, it's good.  It's a man-pleasing meal.


I'll even share with give you my strangely-calculated recipe, just because I think it's that good.  Math never was my strong subject.  I think I must have halved the recipe at some point.

Turkey Meatloaf
Original Source: The Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. chopped yellow onion (1 large)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 of 1/3 c. Worcestershire suace
1/2 of 3/4 c. chicken stock
3/4 tsp. tomato paste
2 1/2 lbs. ground turkey breast (I used a mix of 85/15 and 93/7)
3/4 c. plain bread crumbs
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 of 3/4 c. ketchup

Preheat oven to 325.

In a medium pan on medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme until onions are translucent but not browned (approximately 15 minutes).  Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock and tomato paste; mix well.  Cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, beaten eggs and onion mixture.  Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf in an ungreased baking dish (use one with decently high sides to capture any juices that escape).  Spread the ketchup evenly on top.

Bake 1 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees.

A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meatloaf, will keep the top from cracking (it didn't in my case, but then I used a loaf pan, so I kind of skimped).

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment