Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Green Olive-Yellow Pepper Twocan Tuna Salad

Today's lunch was one to talk about.  I just have to share it with you.  Delicious, and so healthy!  I get even more satisfaction out of a good meal when I know it's actually good for me.


The menu:
Green Olive-Yellow Pepper Twocan Tuna Salad
Carrot Sticks
Homemade Hummus (click for my recipe)

Then I realized while it looked quite tasty, it would leave me hungry.

So I added Sriracha sauce to the hummus, plus a serving of Quaker Tortillaz Guacamole Chips.


I know it's a luxury for a woman who works to get to prepare and enjoy her lunch at home.  Even if you can't go whole-hog with a broiler like I did today, today's lunch would still be an easy-to-pack cold lunch.

Now, on to the actual meal.  It goes against my beliefs to actually use a recipe to make tuna salad (I prefer the "kitchen sink" approach), but when you're counting calories, it just makes sense.  Plus, this turned out so well I want to use it again!

Green Olive-Yellow Pepper Twocan Tuna Salad
2 cans chunk light tuna in water, drained
10 pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp. light Miracle Whip
1 Tbsp. coarse, grainy mustard
shredded carrot (I used about 4 sticks, or half a carrot)
freshly ground pepper
Mix well.  Serves 2.
Per serving: Calories 150; Fat 4.25 g; Carbs 3 g; Fiber .5 g; Protein 22.25 g

Serving Suggestion
Broil it in the other half of the yellow bell pepper!  I added a slice of mozzarella cheese.  So tasty!


Just stuff the pepper with as much tuna salad as you want.  Stick it under the broiler for about 5 minutes - until the pepper's edges begin to brown.  Remove it, top with cheese, and put back under the broiler for a couple minutes until the cheese begins to brown.

P.S. These chips are delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment