Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dulce de Leche Coffee

I saw this decadent-looking coffee drink on The Pioneer Woman's blog the other day and put it on my list of must-try's.  It is now on my list of add-to-recipe-book's.

Take the time to make this some Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening, and you will be so happy you did.

Here's the original recipe with her excellent photos:  Dulce de Leche Coffee.

But if you're willing to go along with my more amateur attempt, follow me...

First, brew 4 cups of strong coffee.  Black, liquid gold it is, I tell you.  Make some extra if you need something to clear your mouth of all the anticipated sweetness.


While your coffee is brewing, combine about 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 2 Tbsp. of sugar in a bowl.  Whip until stiff peaks form.


I whipped for about four minutes and got nowhere, so I decided to check the recipe again.  Oh yeah.  Use a hand mixer, not your arm.


Works much better.  Look at that.  About one minute in, look at it thickening up.


I told you this was amateur.  The pros are not so amazed about whipping cream.  I, however, may never buy the frozen stuff in the carton ever again.  And I may top all my hot cocoa this winter with this homemade whipped cream.  Maintain Don't Gain?  Never heard of it.


Grab your dulce de leche.  It comes in bar form or in a can - found in the Hispanic aisle at your grocery store.


Taking my duty as Recipe Tester very seriously, I tried it, straight from the can.  It's really thick, really rich caramel.

Plop a couple spoonfuls in your pitcher.  Hmm...  Looks interesting, eh?


Pour in your hot coffee and stir briskly so it all melts together into a luscious, caramelly concoction.


Don't waste too much time now.  You don't want your coffee to get too cold.  Pour some into a glass, top with whipped cream, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment