Monday, December 27, 2010

Frozen Hot Chocolate

I regularly experience extreme cravings for frozen hot chocolate from a little local establishment here.  Tonight, the hubby indulged me, and off we went for a 2-for-1 special.  Yes, it's one of those few, great coffee shops that offer a happy hour.  From 6 to 8 every single night, buy 1 drink, get your 2nd drink free.

So you see how this love could easily become an addiction.  And really, we have no idea how bad - or maybe good!  I'll keep an open mind! - these creamy, malty, chocolatey concoctions are for us.

Since I am writing down EVERYthing I eat, this is a problem.  I need to know if this lovely indulgence falls safely within my caloric allowance or if it puts me over.  Nutritional information is not availble.  So I took to the web and found this recipe, which looks really promising, on The Sisters Cafe blog.  If you click the link, it'll take you right there.

I'm definitely going to give this a shot later.  Maybe for New Year's!  And I want to experiment with flavorings a bit, too.  Almond extract, crushed peppermint, caramel drizzle...

Here's the recipe, as grabbed from The Sisters Cafe:
Frozen Hot Chocolate
submitted by Melanie
4oz of your favorite chocolate (We like to use milk chocolate chips--4oz =about 1 cup)
2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate powder
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups ice cube
slightly sweetened whipped cream
chocolate shavings (optional)
Chop chocolate into small pieces and melt in microwave on low heat. Once melted, add hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup milk, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.In blender, place the remaining 1 cup milk, room-temperature chocolate mixture and ice.Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 8 oz. servings from one batch
 
Oh my, these sisters seem to have a lot of great recipes!  Pardon me now while I go browse...

No comments:

Post a Comment