Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pappa al Pomodoro

Pure tomatoey goodness...  If you've never had Pappa al Pomodoro, you are missing out.  It's hearty, it's flavorful, and it's so simple to make.

My recipe is from Rachael Ray, and you know she's queen of all things classically Italian, yet simple.

Here's what you need.  There's a good chance you'll have all this in your cupboards already!


Start by mincing 4-6 cloves of garlic.


Yep, some of my pieces are probably a little large.

Then, finely chop a medium-sized onion.


I had to take a Kleenex break.

Heat a medium-sized soup pot over medium-low heat.  Add about 3 Tbsp. olive oil and your onions and garlic.



Welcome home, honey!  Ha ha...

Let those cook for 7-8 minutes and enjoy the tantalizing aromas that begin to fill the air... and your clothes and your hair and your furniture...  But still, it'll be delicious and completely worth it.

Tear or chop about 4 cups of day-old bread.  Mine wasn't old, so I stuck it in the oven to dry it out a bit.  You may have noticed that I tried a bit of the bread.  Atkins and I will never mix company.


Rinse and drain two cans of small white beans (I used white northern beans).


That smelly mixture on the stove is smelling just heavenly.  Isn't this a romantic, soft-focus picture?


It's now time to add 1 can of petite diced tomatoes and 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes.


Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Stir it all up and take a deep whiff of that fresh, tomatoey fragrance.  Can you believe that canned tomatoes smell so good?!


All right, now pour in 1 quart of chicken broth.  In taking a picture while doing this, I'll have you know I unfortunately made a little mess.  Still, I like the action shot.


Heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.

Add beans and bread.


Simmer until you've got a souplike consistency.


Then, grate some fresh Parmesan.  Ladle your Pappa al Pomodoro into a shallow bowl and top with grated Parmesan (and if you've got it, fresh basil).


If you really want to carb out, like me, have a piece of toasted bread with Italian seasoning and Parmesan on top.


Yummmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment