Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Early Bird Gets the Worm?

I am not an early bird, no matter how you look at it.  But when required to rise and act before the sun is up, I can do it!  Armed with coffee, a snack for alertness, and my ipod to get me through the no-radio-signal areas, I even manage to enjoy my dawn drives.

The fields and pastures have a hazy, mystical quality.  The barns are veiled in a damp silver sheen.  The sky looks like the inside of a seashell.  I saw calves frolicking together - white puffs of air coming from their mouths and frosty dirt kicking up from their heels.

I'm sure it helps that I've been re-reading the Anne of Green Gables series recently, so my imagination is on a rampage.  Last night I caught myself gazing - yes, gazing! - at a jet stream and thinking it looked like a fairy tail.  Not a normal thought for me.

The thing about eating healthfully when you travel is... you must resolve to do it before you leave!  Here's what I brought (if you've read anything else I've written, you'll know I'm a carb lover so this won't surprise you...):

Homemade granola "bars" (Despite turning out as a crumbly messes, they are delicious!)
Honey wheat pretzel rods
Quaker Oats oatmeal crisps
Carrot sticks and a couple pieces of yellow bell pepper (my 9 a.m. snack - strangely satisfying)
Coffee

Of course I didn't eat all this - but having all of it gives me plenty of good options.  The same "just in case" mindset is why I have two pairs of dress pants + extra jeans + workout clothes (Ha!  I'll shop or dine with a friend if I've only got one night away!) + flip flops (just in case I want to take in a yoga class rather than the hotel gym...).  It also explains my heavy "leisure" bag: three magazines + Bible study book + calendar + Christmas gift lists.

It's one night away.  A total of less than 48 hours.

Nevertheless, be prepared and think ahead... I could teach those Boy Scouts a thing or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment